Richiesta disponibilità
Prenotazioni
agriturismo-arte-tradizione

Itineraries in Tuscany and in the area surrounding Il Poggio

The part of the Tiber Valley which is located in Tuscany consists of that portion of land wedged between the regions of Emilia Romagna, Umbria and the Marches.
A border land, a land of passage, and a land of contrasts and history, the Tiber Valley originates from Lake Tiber.
However, the Tiber Valley is a particularly hilly and mountainous region.
Its territory is characterized by a wide variety of natural environments, such as those of the Alps of the Moon, beautiful in all seasons, with mixed oak and beech trees, or those of the Rognosi Mountains, which owe their name to a particular type of vegetation, and even the Catenaia Alps, in the easternmost part of the valley, home to centuries-old chestnut trees.
Let us not forget the Sasso di Simone, also located at the far east of the region, a majestic limestone cliff and a true watchman of the passage of time.

Another feature of the Tiber Valley is the Montedoglio Lake, an artificial body of water navigable by canoe, sailing or rowing, along which at dawn and dusk you can find various species of fish. In addition, the alluvial sands are a paradise for bird watchers. The great variety of natural environments that the Tiber Valley offers is protected thanks to national and regional parks in which our environmental heritage, flora and fauna, is kept safe from extinction. The area of the Upper Tiber Valley is well traveled by bicycle, on horseback, or simply on foot, and its paths lead to old villages or panoramic views of enchanting beauty.

The Tiber Valley is not only rich in nature: all its land is scattered with the remains of her past civilization and its religious and cultural heritage.
This is an area that has long been disputed between the provinces of Florence and Arezzo. It is a corridor from the hinterland to the sea, and for centuries was a crossroads for pilgrims who had traveled the road from Assisi to the Franciscan Sanctuary of La Verna.
Parishes, churches, castles and ancient villages are inserted harmoniously in the territory, and numerous archeological remains are preserved in the museums of the valley. In fact, five of the seven towns of the valley host at least one museum, to bear witness to the ancient customs of the local population and its fervent artistic activity.
Today the Tiber Valley remains a hub of craft activities, special events and artistic and cultural initiatives of various kinds that attest to its intellectual brilliance.

Sansepolcro

Sansepolcro, the nearest town, is only 7 minutes by car from the farmhouse and there are restaurants, bars, supermarkets, a post office, banks, delis, markets for local products, pharmacies and Internet access.
The city is known for being the birthplace of Piero della Francesca, one of the most important painters of the Renaissance, who represented the landscapes of the Tiber Valley in his paintings. Some of his most famous paintings can be seen in the Museum: the Resurrection, St. Julian's, Our Lady of Mercy.
In the city there is also the Lace Museum (dedicated to the industry that made Sansepolcro famous in the world), the Museum of Aboca Herbs, and the Museum of Ancient Stained Glass.
Festivals and local events are held throughout the year in many of the small towns of Umbria and Tuscany. This is true in Sansepolcro.

September is the month when the town explodes. Each year in the month of September, Sansepolcro hosts the Crossbow and Flag Games.
During this time visitors will be transported to the Renaissance, with costumed ceremonies, historical parades, and processions. The highlight of the Festival is the Palio of the Crossbow, which is held the second Sunday of September in the town's main square.
The towns of Sansepolcro and Gubbio challenge each other with these lethal weapons from many centuries ago, which require immense skill and precision to manage.

Anghiari

Anghiari, sitting on a hill overlooking the valley with breathtaking views, is considered one of the most beautiful medieval villages of Italy.
At Anghiari, traditional arts and crafts still survive, and the city has a prestigious position in the activities of cultural and historical antiques and hand weaving.
Its famous Arts and Crafts Fair takes place in May, in the narrow alleys of the old town, in its squares and in its old workshops.

Monterchi

Monterchi is an ancient medieval village, with quiet streets and squares, surrounded by woods, chestnut groves and cultivated fields. It occupies the middle of a hill, in a place considered sacred by the ancient Romans because of a mythological relationship to the figure of Hercules.
Monterchi is famous for its cultural artifacts. Its museum houses the fresco of the Madonna del Parto by Piero della Francesca.
It was created by the artist in the hometown of his mother, around 1445, and was rediscovered in 1888.
The museum which houses it also has an exhibition showing the various stages of the process and the techniques that were used yo restore it.
In Monterchi, during the summer months, you can enjoy concerts of classical music outdoors.

Caprese Michelangelo

This town is the birthplace of Michelangelo Buonarroti, from which the town takes its name.
The village of Caprese Michelangelo is located in an elevated position, on a rock overlooking the surrounding area.
Growing around the small village (1700 inhabitants) are many chestnut groves of exceptional value, which have been given the “Protected Designation of Origin” (PDO) certification.
In the village is the church of Saint John, where Michelangelo was baptized.
In the House of the Podestà, birthplace of Michelangelo Buonarroti, there is a museum containing different masterpieces of Michelangelo along with works by contemporary artists.

Hermitage and Monastery of Montecasale

The Monastery of Montecasale is a sacred building situated on one of the first hills of the Umbrian countryside, overlooking the valley of the Tiber a few miles from Sansepolcro.
According to tradition, its origins date back to 1192, when the Camaldolese built on the ruins of an ancient castle, a small chapel with a hospital and a hospice for pilgrims along the road that crossed the Alps of the Moon and descended to the Marches.
Transferred to St. Francis in 1213, the retreat became a place of primary importance of Franciscan Spirituality for hosting the Saint of Assisi.
The Franciscan friars supposedly remained there until 1268, when they were replaced by a small community of hermits who followed the rule of St. Augustine. Between the thirteenth and fourteenth century the building housed a cult devoted to the image of the Virgin Mary with Child, and by the early sixteenth century there came the settlement of the Capuchin Monks, who still live here today.
The complex preserves the original layout of the oldest Franciscan monasteries, circling a central cloister with big stone pillars.
It is a remarkable example of simple architecture built with local materials and inspired by the rigors of religious life.

Sanctuary of La Verna

The Franciscan Sanctuary of La Verna, a few km from Chiusi della Verna, is famous for being the place where St. Francis of Assisi received the stigmata (on September 17th, 1224) and represents a central event in the history of the Franciscan order.
Built on the southern slope of Mount Penna, 1128 meters high, the Sanctuary – the destination of many pilgrims – is home to numerous chapels and places of prayer and meditation, as well as several points of great religious importance.
The group includes the church of Santa Maria of the Angels, the Major Basilica, the Hall and the Chapel of the Stigmata, and the beautiful square, known as the Quadrant, from which you can access all the places of the sanctuary that are open to the public and enjoy the beautiful view of the valley of Casentino.

Monastery of Camaldoli

It rises 818 meters above sea level and is situated on the banks of one of the branches of the river Archiano and, notably, is mentioned by Dante Alighieri (Purgatorio, Canto V, verse 94).
The ancient architectural complex consists of a hospice or guest quarters, a church and a monastery. Building of the hospice began in 1046, near the church.
The construction work on the monastery didn’t begin until the sixteenth century. At the same time the cloister on the north side of the church and the hospital was incorporated on the west side. The work was completed in 1611.
Camaldoli was also known by the name of Fontebuona for the quality and richness of the waters, which were celebrated by Ambrogio Traversari’s monumental fountain built in front of the entrance to the monastery.
Standing out among the works of art inside the church are seven paintings made by Giorgio Vasari.

Monterchi

Anghiari

Caprese Michelangelo

Convento di Montecasale



Meteo